Media Reports

Conflict on containers – Newcastle Herald

Author: By MATTHEW KELLY Date: 21/02/2011 Words: 219 Source: NCH A NEWCASTLE container terminal would struggle to be viable because it would be unable to compete with existing ports, a ports industry expert believes. The major factor is the deepening of Australia's largest port, Melbourne, which is designed to allow larger container vessels into Australia. Sydney and Brisbane ports are handling the bulk of the remaining traffic. "The prospect of ships wanting to come to Newcastle is diminished," the source, who wished to remain anonymous, said. "You would be running a very slim operation. If you don't get the big volume then you can't…

read more

Terminal conflict – Newcastle Herald

NEWCASTLE MP Jodi McKay accused forces within her government last night of undermining her efforts to secure a $600 million container terminal for Newcastle. The claim follows the leaking of a confidential treasury briefing paper to the Newcastle Herald that questioned the project's viability. Ms McKay said the leak followed a conversation with Treasurer Eric Roozendaal on Wednesday morning in which she expressed concern about the delay in announcing the project's successful proponent. Mr Roozendaal sought last night to distance himself from the briefing document and confirmed that Newcastle would be the location of the state's next containerterminal. Securing the Newcastle terminal, which…

read more

Sabotage claim in container terminal plan – Newcastle Herald

MATTHEW KELLY 18 Feb, 2011 04:00 AM NEWCASTLE MP Jodi McKay accused forces within her government last night of undermining her efforts to secure a $600 million container terminal for Newcastle. The claim follows the leaking of a confidential treasury briefing paper to the Newcastle Herald that questioned the project's viability. Ms McKay said the leak followed a conversation with Treasurer Eric Roozendaal on Wednesday morning in which she expressed concern about the delay in announcing the project's successful proponent. Mr Roozendaal sought last night to distance himself from the briefing document and confirmed that Newcastle would be the location…

read more

Precinct plan may be sunk – Newcastle Herald

Author: By MICHELLE HARRIS Date: 02/12/2010 Words: 406 Source: NCH New terminals are vital to supply, writes Mick Payze. THE Newcastle Herald editorial "Steelworks coal project" (2/12) illustrates to me the misconceptions that pervade public understanding of the supply and demand for cargo-handling capacity. The editorial challenged the need for new container capacity at Newcastle based on the extent of the new container terminal developments that are coming on stream at Botany Bay in Sydney, assuming that these will more than meet demand for the foreseeable future. Almost universally, container throughputs are actually rising long term by two to three times GDP and often far faster…

read more

Govt still committed to Newcastle MPT – ABC

NSW Ports Minister Eric Roozendaal says the State Government is committed to a multi-purpose terminal (MPT) in the Port of Newcastle. There has been speculation the project has been abandoned, after the Port Corporation announced last week it had been unable to find a suitable private investor. The Port Corporation says it will enter into discussions with existing port customers looking to expand onto the 40 hectare former BHP site at Mayfield. Mr Roozendaal says the private proposals were not up to the expected standard, and when it goes ahead, the terminal must be world class. "We're still committed to…

read more

Anger over refusal to release Botany report

By Tim Dick and Darren Goodsir September 26, 2005 The NSW Government will not release an independent report on the proposed expansion of the Port Botany freight terminal until after it has decided whether to approve it, a move that has infuriated local community groups. Last year, the Government referred the plan - pushed by the Sydney Ports Corporation - to an independent commission of inquiry, which held public hearings and received hundreds of submissions on the intended 63-hectare reclamation of Botany Bay. The commissioner, Kevin Cleland, submitted the completed report four months ago and had to wait six weeks…

read more

Expanded cargo terminal too big, say planners – Sydney Morning Herald

By Darren Goodsir, Urban Affairs Editor February 18, 2005 Page Tools The state's top planners have cast adrift an ambitious plan to massively expand cargo facilities at the Port Botany container terminal - arguing its size should be reduced by 25 per cent to avoid traffic gridlock. The Sydney Ports Corporation is arguing at a commission of inquiry for a 63-hectare boost to the existing terminal, which it claims would allow 3.2 million container movements a year by 2025. This would increase the size of the stretched cargo area by nearly 30 per cent - with a potential impact on…

read more

Shipping boom poses headaches for expansion of Port Botany – Sydney Morning Herald

By Darren Goodsir December 13, 2004 Page Tools When the Port Botany container facility was planned it was designed to accommodate four terminals and up to 4 million container truck movements a year. It takes about 1.2 million container loads a year, but its capacity of about 2 million loads is likely to be reached between 2010 and 2015. After opening in 1976 planned expansions were thwarted by the building of the third runway at Sydney Airport. Sydney's container traffic has risen by 7.4 per cent since 1970, with 3 million containers - nearly three times the current volume -…

read more

Report Favours Botany For Port – Newcastle Herald

Newcastle Herald Saturday August 28, 2004 By IAN KIRKWOOD SYDNEY Ports is determined to expand the Port Botany wharves, despite residents, business groups and politicians pushing for a new terminal in Newcastle or Port Kembla. It has released a consultants' report supporting its plans as originally announced, despite Planning Minister Craig Knowles ordering it to consider alternatives within Botany Bay, and an upper house committee urging the Government to look at Newcastle and Wollongong. Mr Knowles intervened in June after P&O complained that Sydney Ports was favouring its stevedoring rival Patrick Corporation. Sydney Ports wants nearly 60 hectares reclaimed from…

read more